Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Dear Ashton

Dear Ashton,

Someday you will be old enough to surf through my blogs and you'll get to know me. You'll read about the challenges we have faced as a family, you'll read about the things that make me smile, the things that upset me and the things that make my cry. Today I want to tell you about you, the you right now.

At the ripe old age of four, your beaming personality shines so bright and leaves a glow on every life you connect with. You are an amazing inspiration to me and our community of family and friends. Your electric blue eyes easily inspire the compassion and understanding you deserve. It's impossible for me to express in words the purest of joy, inspiration and wisdom you've brought into this world.  You have faced many obstacles most adults will never know. The unique complexity of your medical history has baffled the most skilled doctors and professionals, but even so young you have chosen not to let that challenge define you. You have chosen to excel against unfathomable odds.  With your unfaltering love for every soul you meet and social nature you bring the best out in the individuals around you and in turn change how each of us moves forward. Today your journey forward has taken a more literal path- Today you began walking independently.

Someday the challenges you have faced before this day will be a fading memory.  Someday April 20th, 2011 won't mean a thing to you, but this day will forever make my heart sing. I will never forget this day and the many first moments you experienced. As I type I'm dreading going to sleep and letting the beautiful dream of this day end. Today you walked with your own feet into our home, you stood independently to accept a hug from your sister, you walked to your Daddy to give him a high five, you walked to your Grandma Fox to surprise her, you walked through the kitchen at Papa's house to surprise him, you walked without assistance- nothing but 'Ashton Power'.... you walked, and walked, and walked!

Today changed everything. My tears today weren't for the things that you aren't able to do yet, but tears for the new adventures that will come to you and the ones we will share. Since your birth we have been on this journey together and today you showed me that your journey isn't just about your challenges and the challenges we have endured together as a family.  Like everyone, your journey has a greater purpose.  I know God's plan is complicated and will probably not be clearly understood in this life, but today I have been able to extract one nugget of  truth in His plan... You have given this world hope.  While your journey is far from complete, this piece of the greater plan could not be more defined. 

Over the past four years we've laughed, cried and squabbled with each other during your quest for independent mobility. Today our collective prayer for mobility free of assistance was granted. I know you will enjoy your new wings, there is a whole new exciting world for you to explore. With your new mobility there's also a whole new world of trouble for you to get into, but for now we'll try to keep focus on your good intentions! ;)

I love you very much. Ready, set, GO!

Mom

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Sarah, what a beautiful letter to Ashton!
    What an amazing day for him, you & Shelby & all who know your family!
    Ashton is an incredible little boy!
    God has BIG plans for Ashton & Ashton is dreaming BIG!
    His smile is so precious! His spirit & strength are unbelievable!
    Have a Happy Easter!
    Love, Prayers & Hugs~
    Kami

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just amazing Sarah - you have such a way with words!

    ReplyDelete