Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Look

It's not 'The Look' your probably thinking about... It's not the look your child gives you when they don't want to eat their dinner, it's not the look you get from your spouse when you ask them to take out the trash, it's not the latest craze in fashion, it's not a look you see often- unless your me.

I got 'The Look' several times today on my solo trip to the hospital with Owen. It's the look that people exchange at a funeral- a half smile on a sad face. It's the look of sympathy and pity, eyes pleading for your smile in response...  like they just witnessed your dreams slip to a far away place and want to say, 'sorry.'  I'm sure the frequency was somewhat increased due to his unruly nature today, but when stricken with that look I feel helpless. One 'Look' can have me teetering on the edge of tears or start randomly blurting out a laundry list of Owens recent achievements- like I need to prove his worth through the his skills and abilities to a complete stranger.

I hate that look. I never want my babies to see it, to know that somebody feels sorry for me because of their challenges. As they get older I don't know how we'll shelter them from it. I suppose we can't. We choose to celebrate the activities and skills our children CAN DO... the things they can't do are just hurdles for now- we'll get there! I assure you our dreams of  a perfect family and healthy successful children are not lost, they are living, breathing and thriving! While those dreams have changed course a bit, they are still very alive and well.  Until then, if you see a family like ours out and about don't look at them and mourn the little things lost, give them a BIG SMILE, cheerfully greet them and celebrate the blessings that they have been given.  


Love, Hugs & Prayers,  Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment