Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The sun will come out tomorrow...

♪♫ The sun will come out tomorrow.. ♪♫ That little ditty was the last conversation (facebook style) I had with my Mom. She was talking about her bad day, but was quick to mentioned the little things in life that made it better. After her comment I reminded her in a muscial esque post that "the sun will come out tomorrow." It's her optimisim and perserverence through adversity and personal struggles that will forever inspire me to keep looking to the sunny side of the situation. Through her personal struggles, she would point out the little things in life that were worth celebrating or the little things in life that would make the days worry seem less. The sun may have set for her in this life, but I know she is basking everday in the beautiful sunshine of Heaven. You will forever be missed, but I know you have found peace and the purest love in the glory of God.

We had a memorial service for her last Saturday in Michigan. We were so blessed to be surrounded and comforted by family and friends. Uncle John's sermon was beautifuly worded and I read a eulogy to remind everyone of those 'little things' that Mom did so well to inspire us all...

'‎Life isn’t about waiting for the storm, its about learning to dance in the rain.' My Mom strongly connected with this quote and adopted it as a sort of personal mantra. She liked it so much it was in the signature line of her e-mails to me and it was a message to everyone who visited her home- as it was hung on the door of her apartment.

I think this quote is a thought we should all consider today.

As we reflect on our memories of Mom, we need to lose sight of the storm and focus on the beautiful skies and sunshine that she brought into each of our lives.

My Mom was a beautiful person-
her smile, thoughtfulness and compassion for others could make mountains into molehills. As she struggled with her own battles she was always quick to point out reasons to celebrate the small wins. Whether it was scoring a great deal at a garage sale, decorating for the upcoming holiday or discovering a really good recipe- there was always something -no matter how small- that could make the days worry seem less.

Her creative nature inspired myself and others to seek out their own creative talents. So many of us enjoyed her beautiful drawings, quirky crafts, eclectic taste and the little touches she could add to even the most homely store bought bouquet that would make it into a true treasure.

She shared with us her humor with her cheerful Halloween costumes, silly cartoons, and paddle ball toys and kid candy in our Adult Easter baskets.

I think Mom was born with a song in her heart. She loved to sing and gave others the confidence to sing right along with her. I often think of her when I'm singing in the car -especially when a good oldie tune comes on. She strongly identified with music and lyrics and as we remember her in memory today I want to leave you with a special song that carries the message she would all want us to hear...



Mom, I Love You and Will Miss You Always. <3 Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment